Re: Original commit history for gfortran

As a Fortran user and professor teaching Fortran programming to undergraduate engineering students, I will jump in and state that we need a COMPLETE Fortran 2003 compiler that is available for a nominal cost. When shown the current features of Fortran, many folks are impressed by the developments in the language over what they see in older textbooks. However, it is hard to convince folks to take those developments seriously when there really is not a complete Fortran 2003 compiler available for mere mortal users like me and my students. The financial situation at most most universities these days is pretty grim, so gfortran has been a blessing since it provides a great, free, cross-platform Fortran 95 compiler that could be installed in computer laboratories and on the student's own machines.

Fortran will fade out if we don't teach the kids, and we can't teach them unless the tools are available. I hope that the dedicated folks here that have done such an amazing job with gfortran can continue that effort with renewed energy from other contributors to keep development progressing.