This is the mail archive of the fortran@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GNU Fortran project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: practical use of iargc() getarg()


On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 03:46:19AM +0000, RadSurfer wrote:
> Since getarg() returns strings, I was just wondering precisely how one
> converts a string to the proper numerical type desired?
> 
> Strangely, the manual (gfortran.pdf) really does not show any practical
> example for using getarg() as regards converting to numerical types.
> 
> I = IChar('123') ! Integer        (How are the other types handled?)
> 
> no matter how often I read through that manual, I see nothing about
> obtaining a REAL (single,double, let alone their attributes)
> from a String!  Did I miss something?
> 
> I was going to try to process some simple formula's with float values
> past from the command line, (a cinch for C/C++ naturally)!
> 
> Sometimes Fortran just utterly amazes me.
> 

You need to use an internal read.

          PROGRAM test_getarg
            INTEGER :: i
            CHARACTER(len=32) :: arg
            real x
            DO i = 1, iargc()
              CALL getarg(i, arg)
              read(arg,*) x
            END DO
          END PROGRAM

The above is completely untested.

-- 
Steve


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]