This is the mail archive of the fortran@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GNU Fortran project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Pronouncing gfortran


Tobias Schlüter wrote:
I've never given it much thought, I didn't even know the "g" in gnu is silent (in the German word "Gnu" once pronounces the g).

It's _not_ silent -- at least, not in "GNU" the organization, though it is in "gnu" the animal (also known as a wildebeest).


See, for example:
* http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2000/01/msg03391.html
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy (at the bottom of the page)


(It's rather like how Don Knuth pronounces Knuth, actually.)

Anyhow, I also pronounce gfortran as "G" (as in the letter) "Fortran", which is apparently how everyone else who's responded does it. :)

- Brooks


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]