This is the mail archive of the fortran@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GNU Fortran project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: ibits


On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 01:53:49PM -0500, Dean McCullough wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestions, but ....
> 
> I have installed gfortran-4.3.0.  It was also pointed out that I had 
> transposed the arguments to ibits.  I believe ibits(j,0,32) should 
> extract 32 bits from j, starting with bit 0.
> 
> Unfortunately, even with the new version of gfortran, I am getting:
>    57     3FFFFFFFFFFFFFF     3FFFFFFFFFFFFFF
>    58     7FFFFFFFFFFFFFF     7FFFFFFFFFFFFFF
>    59     FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF     FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
>    60    1FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF    1FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
> i.e. NOT 32 bits.

I ran your original program with ifort 8.1 and gfortran, and
the results agree:

$ gfortran -fdefault-integer-8 ibits.f && ./a.out | tail -10
   61    3FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   62    7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   63    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   64    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   65    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   66    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   67    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   68    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   69    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   70    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
$ ifort -i8 ibits.f && ./a.out | tail -10
   61    3FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   62    7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   63    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   64    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   65    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   66    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   67    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   68    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   69    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0
   70    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                   0

So, if gfortran is wrong, it is at least in good company.

I suggest posting this as a question on comp.lang.fortran.

	Thomas


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]