Deallocation problem in fortran

Hi
I am facing a strange problem with the deallocation if a pointer which is
allocated through malloc 'C' function. The pointer is quiet big say 29 MB
and while deallocation (through free 'C' function) it gives me segmentation
fault in Linux 64b platform Debug version. Release version works fine. I
thought the problem could be due to the illegal usage of memory during its
course of computation and hence it could not be able to free the same. So i
tried to free it immediately after its allocation, but still the problem
exists. I would be pretty happy to receive inputs in this regard.