Re: Compressed MOD files?

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, FX Coudert wrote:

ssed or not when reading, which is pretty easy) It increases CPU
usage, but it gets the disk space used by module files by a factor 5
to 6 on my own codes.

This sounds interesting, but how much real space usage reduction do you see?

a factor of 5 to 6? e.g., from 27 megabytes to 5.2 megabytes on the real-life F95 code I currently use for my work.

My first reaction when I saw your first message in this thread was "Does it really matter?". But if there are real life code that prdoces 27 MB of *.mod files, I guess compression would be nice. Not of huge importance perhaps, with the hard disk sizes of today, but nice. Since it shouldn't add much complexity to the compiler, my vote is "yes".

Erik