-frepack-arrays

Hi there,
I would like to make sure that my understanding of -frepack-arrays is
correct, specifically that it is applied to the callee subroutine.
If I have a subroutine which I expect to be called with contiguous array
arguments in most (if not all) cases, I can compile it with
-frepack-arrays, and I will obtain two things:
1. In the body of the subroutine the compiler will assume stride 1
2. For those cases (that I expect to be rare given my assumption on its
usage) where the actual argument is not stride 1, the compiler inserts
copy-in/copy-out, so that the subroutine behaves correctly.

Is this indeed what is intended?
Thanks
Salvatore