Re: Including GMP/MPFR in GCC repository?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:

> >> I do not think we should be including more such packages in the GCC
> >> repository.  It's complicated from an FSF perspective and it bloats our
> >> software.  GCC is a complicated piece of software, and to build it you
> >> need a lot of stuff installed on your system.  I think we should just
> >> accept that. :-)
> >
> > So when I start using MPFR from the middle-end for PR 29335, it's okay to
> > force everyone building GCC to get MPFR?  (I.e. not just the people who
> > want to build fortran.)
>
> It is my opinion (as a GCC developer, not as a representative of the
> FSF/SC) that, yes, that is fine.  I think most other people that
> responded agreed.  (I do think that we should make sure that MPFR works
> on all of the popular host platforms, of course.)

Terrific!

Cross-referencing the gcc-testresults list with the proposed list of
primary and secondary platforms here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-10/msg00016.html

I see the following platforms are providing gfortran test results, which
implies that they have MPFR.  In a couple of cases I wasn't able to find a
direct target match, so I used a similar platform and noted that in
parentheses next to the desired platform triplet.

We can also check the list of known platforms supporting MPFR from their
website for additional safety.  In there is claims to support
i386-unknown-freebsd5.4 and hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.23 so those fuzzy matches
below are cleared.  I don't know about mipsisa64-elf, but I suspect it
works given that other mips do (irix, linux-gnu).  Codesourcery provides
nightly arm-eabi results without fortran.  Perhaps you can check that one?

http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/

Is this sufficient research to proceed in your opinion?

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh

Primary Platforms
-----------------

    * arm-eabi (arm-unknown-linux-gnu)
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-10/msg01298.html

    * i386-unknown-freebsd (alpha-unknown-freebsd5.4)
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-07/msg01072.html

    * i686-pc-linux-gnu
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2006-10/msg00545.html

    * i686-apple-darwin
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2006-01/msg00583.html

    * mipsisa64-elf (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu)
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-07/msg00638.html

    * powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2006-04/msg01317.html

    * sparc-sun-solaris2.10
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2006-01/msg01273.html

    * x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-11/msg01261.html

Secondary Platforms
-------------------

    * hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.23 (hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11)
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-07/msg01538.html

    * powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-04/msg02076.html

    * powerpc-apple-darwin