Re: Constraints on variables in pure procedures

Brooks,

If t were a dummy argument, this would be correct would it not?

The presence of an error would be correct, yes. However, if give_next were a subroutine rather than a function, and if t were declared INTENT(INOUT) or INTENT(OUT), then the code would again be legal.

Has a PR been filed for this?

No. The correspondence arose out of PR20863, where one of the genuinely illegal cases does not cause an error. I was looking at the code, in place, that tries to apply purity and it made no sense to me whatsoever.

It might be best to add this to PR20863, refer to the thread and change the title of the PR.

This would make a very nice tyro front-end project. :-)

Paul