Re: F2003 features (was: Re: [Patch, fortran] PR20541 - allocatable components (TR15541))

On Monday 09 October 2006 22:50, Paul Thomas wrote:
> I have said this before and I will probably say this again; before we
> launch into any more F200x projects, we must make a determined effort to
> get F95 right,  Gfortran is still much too buggy in quite fundamental
> things, as the batch of PRs that have been added in the last 48hours show.
>
> My vote would be to scrub all extension projects (including
> sub-modules!) and to embark on an effort to get the basics right.
>
> I started a triage of the fortran PRs, which I now propose to complete
> and post to the wiki.

This is an absolutely great idea. I would like to see gfortran displace g77 in
all distributions. As it stands, Debian Etch will not ship with gfortran
being the preferred fortran compiler. Getting the basic regression bugs from
g77 fixed so that basic packages can be built without issue is of great
importance so that g77 can be dropped for good.

wt
--
Warren Turkal, Research Associate III/Systems Administrator
Colorado State University, Dept. of Atmospheric Science