can't create executables

Hello to all.

Please help me.  I have already been to

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinariesMacOS

and have followed the instructions there.  I
successfully installed the gfortran located at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-macosx.dmg
using the workaround trick described in the first url,
and I installed cctools-590.36.

Here is the copied linux bash output (I've separated
each new line with a return):

cu82895mac:/Pablo_Folder/Programs admin$
/usr/local/gfortran/bin/gfortran -o explicit.out
explicit.f90

/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I am not that computer savvy, so I've spent hours
searching on the web trying to figure out what went
wrong.  That includes searching through the archives
of this list to see if others have had similar
problems.  From what I gathered, I think I may have a
"linker" error, in that the program, explicit.f90,
successfully compiles and produces an output object,
explicit.o, when I do the following:

cu82895mac:/Pablo_Folder/Programs admin$
/usr/local/gfortran/bin/gfortran -c explicit.f90

However, when I then do the following in an attempt to
turn the compiled object into an executable:

cu82895mac:/Pablo_Folder/Programs admin$
/usr/local/gfortran/bin/gfortran -o executable
explicit.o

I get part of the original error (again, separating
the new line with a return):

/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

FYI, I use Mac OS 10.4.6 with the Intel Processor.
One question that I have is, "Is there anything else
that I may need to install?"  Finally, I've done all
this because I needed a FORTRAN 90 compiler for a
class I'm taking on climate modeling, and we have a
problem set due this Tuesday.  Thanks!

-Pablo