Re: Bugs

Paul Thomas wrote:

Everyone involved with gfortran (and GCC) should be excited that
Walt is testing gfortran.  If I'm not mistaken, he is one of the
co-designers of F; he has co-authored several books on Fortran and
F; he participates in discuss on c.lf; and I believe he's active
in J3 (the standards committee).

He also agreed, readily, to post a link to gfortran on his goldmine of a site: fortran dot com - you will find us at the top of the free software page. Nearly all the gfortran PRs I have posted have come from test programs available at this site and, I rather think, doubled up in Walt's testsuite (eg. Meissner examples, Walt?). Having gone through this exercise, I know how costly in time is the task of reducing the bugged programs to examples for PRs. Since I might recognise some of them(!), I am also willing to share in the processing of the problem programs.

Paul T

PS

Walt remarked in 1983 about fortran committees:

"The committee seemed to have rejected the idea of a small elegant core. It appears to be the old problem that a committee simply cannot design something small and elegant; one person's frill is another's essential feature, and for some reason a committee almost always seems to vote to include things in this category rather than exclude them. After everything else is done, it still may be possible to identify a small 'core'."

Wouldn't it have been nice for gfortran? #sigh#

Hence F. But, of course, that doesn't help anybody that is trying to implement the standard Fortran.

I haven't used Meissner's examples as tests. That is
a good idea and I'll do it when I get through the others.

Thanks for all the comments and offers to help. I'll
get cracking on the tests.

--
Walt Brainerd         +1-877-355-6640 (voice & fax)
The Fortran Company   +1-520-760-1397 (outside USA)