Re: AMD x86_64 linux binaries for gfortran

At 12:21 PM 3/22/2005, Steve Kargl wrote:

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:07:47PM +0100, Fran?ois-Xavier Coudert wrote:

> 64bits linux). These seems to default integers to 32 bits,
> if you feel the other behavior (default 64 bits integers) is better I'll
> be happy to do it, if someone can tell me what is the magic option
> for configure.

I don't think you want to default to 64 bit integer for
the default integer kind.  If you do, then this implies
that we have 64-bit reals for the default real kind and
then we would need REAL(10) to work for the additional
kind with higher precision as specified by the standard.
We have no support for intrinsic procedures with REAL(10),
nor do we have IO routines.

As these x86-64 machines are designed to take advantage of 32-bit data for best performance, and existing 64-bit compilers have 32-bit default kinds, this is good advice. In gcc, only long and pointer types become 64 bits. I'd like to see a "64-bit" Windows gfortran as well, and there the ABI even more clearly favors 32-bit default data types. I don't favor making gcc for Windows inconsistent with gcc for linux, but let's not go out of our way to make gfortran inconsistent with Windows ABI. There is a movement to add a 64-bit integer type to the common MPI implementations, but even that isn't there yet.

Tim Prince