Re: [gfortran] PATCH implement g77 intrinsics

Thanks for your comments...

* gcc/fortran/check.c, gcc/fortran/gfortran.h,
gcc/fortran/intrinsic.c, gcc/fortran/intrinsic.h,
gcc/fortran/iresolve.c, gcc/fortran/trans-intrinsic.c:
add support for resolving and checking arguments for the
new intrinsics.

Different files go on different lines in the ChangeLog, and yes, you have to
list all functions.

I'll do that.

- I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to use the same check functions for
functions which take the same set of arguments.

Well, it wouldn't be worse, that's sure. But since the list of intrinsics is not infinite (and we're approaching the end), I don't think this is really critical.

- Instead of implementing different intrinsics for different integer kinds,
you could insert a type conversion during resolution, see e.g.
gfc_resolve_besn. I don't think anybody will complain about not being able to
call sleep with an argument > 2**32 :-)

Different integer kinds are just a matter of copy-pasting ;-)

I doubt these tests are portable, so maybe we shouldn't run these tests on
some platforms (Windows, e.g.)

We don't actually run them, but only compile them. I hesitated before choosing this, but I think the most important thing for intrinsics is their interaction with the compiler (that is, resolving and checking) and not the actual library code (which, in fact, is just glue for Unix system calls).

I recall Steve saying that he was writing documentation for some of the
intrinsics he has implemented. Can you add documentation for the intrinsics
you implemented (possibly taking it from g77), once there's a place to put it?

Yes, if I'm told where, I guess it doesn't exceed my competences.

FX