Question about array (Re: Status of bug 12366)

--- Paul Brook <paul@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> > It seems bug 12366 has been around for an awfully long time. Is this a
> > particularly difficult problem to solve?
>
> Yes, it's a fairly tricky one to fix. The short answer is that vector
> subscripts only work for trivial subscript expressions.
>
> It needs someone who understands the scalarizer and array handling (ie. me)
> to sit down for a few days and beat it into shape.

Paul,

When fixing PR16531 (enable Hollerith constant), I also run into the array
stuff. I am not very clear about the array designing and using principle,
though I almost worked out the PR16531 (except the conversion between string
and Hollerith constant or maybe still exist some bugs). I have to consult you
on these questions.

1. Are there two kinds array, descriptor array and descriptorless array? The
difference of them? We have used the lang_type struct to describe the array,
why still need an array descriptor?

2. Is there any difference between general one dimension array and string
(array of Character)?

I want to know the designing principle of the array framework to avoid
misunderstanding these functions when using or correct them. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Feng Wang