Status of bug 12366

Hi.

I'm busy porting some f90 code to linux using a recent CVS gcc, but I'm
getting an ICE on some code. I was about to submit a bug, but it seems
that what I found is a duplicate of bug 12366. My test case looks almost
exactly like the one described in bug 18379, which has been marked as a
duplicate of 12366.

It seems bug 12366 has been around for an awfully long time. Is this a
particularly difficult problem to solve, or is it dependant on some
other particularly hairy gcc problems being fixed? What I'd like to know
is if I should hold my breath for it being fixed soon, or if I should
just try to incorporate the workaround in the code I'm working on.

Anyway, to save a trip to bugzilla, the bug 18379 test case looks like
this:

while the code
      PROGRAM TEST
      IMPLICIT NONE
      INTEGER :: I(3)
      REAL(8) :: XTEST(5)
      I = (/ 1, 3, 5 /)
      XTEST(I) = 5.
      WRITE(*,*) XTEST
      END
 works, the slightly modified one
      PROGRAM TEST
      IMPLICIT NONE
      REAL(8) :: XTEST(5)
      XTEST((/ 1, 3, 5 /)) = 5.
      WRITE(*,*) XTEST
      END
 gives the error test.f:4: internal compiler error: in gfc_conv_ss_descriptor,
at fortran/trans-array.c:1264

Thanks
Neilen