Re: consequence of 4.0 release branch?

 --- Toon Moene <toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl> 的正文:

> >> Yes, this is how it's supposed to work for all patches.
> >
> > I don't know how I feel about that. We're having trouble keeping a
> > minimum speed in fixing gfortran bugs. Basically, double testing will
> > mean greatly diminishing the number of bugs that will get fixed in a
> > given amount of time.
>
> Be careful.  You look at the problem from the point of view of someone
> who recently joined the bug-fixing crowd.  In a month's time, the 4.0
> branch will be *very* different from mainline.  It might be that patches

IMHO, we fortran gangs should also have different policies for the two
different branches. We all know gfortran is still far far away from being
release status (In fact, it seems that nobody considered how and when to reach
this status, we just do our best). Gfortran is still in development status, and
we should have more flexible policies ourselves rather than GCC 4.0 release
policies.

I think we can first apply patches to mainline (the development branch) and
merge to GCC4.0 release branch once a month (or another period). This can
decrease much approval time of reviewers and speed up the development of
gfortran.

> to the front end still apply cleanly, but they might have different
> effects, exhibit latent bugs, etc.

I think the fortran front end is relatively independent with GCC backend. This
is our chance and advantage.

> In the 7 years I've been involved with egcs/gcc development based on
> CVS, I've *always* tested a patch that worked on mainline against the
> "branch du jour" of the next release before committing there.  It pays
> in the long run.

Good experience and we need your opinions.

Best Regards,
Feng Wang