Re: Standard Libraries for gfortran

Steve Kargl wrote:
Are you sure that optimize BLAS libraries are available on *all* platforms that GCC supports? Are these optimize
BLAS libraries free?

ATLAS is free and supports every system that people care about for high-performance numerics. For those few obscure platforms where for some reason it might not work (embedded systems?), people can use the reference implementation included with gcc.

Conversely, if you want to spend your time writing a fast matrix multiply for any given platform, you should write something that conforms to the BLAS API, not some internal API used only within gcc.

This whole thread on add-on libraries is way too pre-mature.
gfortran can't pass the NIST F77 testsuite.  gfortran can't
pass the LAPACK test programs (with netlib's BLAS).  There are
60+ nonstandard g77 intrinsic subprograms that need to be
implemented for backwards compatibility.  At this point in
time, we should be worried about making gfortran work.

I agree that you may not have time right now to worry about matrix-op performance; you guys are doing great work, and I'm not trying to be annoying. And shipping add-on libraries in general is probably outside the scope of gcc.

However, when you do start to worry about matrix-op performance (and some people are already submitting patches), if you don't center your strategy around exploiting the BLAS then you are arguably making a mistake.

Steven