Re: Libgfortran licensing

On Aug 31, 2004, at 3:02 PM, Toon Moene wrote:
Only the original author(s) of these pieces can determine under what license they want their contributions distributed. As "we" didn't write all of them (some were written by Andy Vaught), we cannot decide unilaterally to change the licensing. If the license does not conform to the one normally used for run-time library code, and we didn't write the specific code ourselves, we should recode the functionality.

The purpose of assigning copyright to the FSF is to allow the FSF to correct goofs like this. If that was done for Fortran, and it should have been, then the FSF can decide to change it. The right global rights person that would review this _knows_ if they can without asking the FSF for permission, and _will_ ask them otherwise.

So, short story long, it is ok to do up the patch and submit it, but it _must_ be reviewed by the right person. Law in the past has had some state on this topic, and might be the right person, the SC can ok it as well. Not that they can, but rather, they know if they can, and won't if they can't.

All the libfortran maintainers are supposed to know all of this... :-) so it isn't meant to controversial. In addition, the library reviewers really should catch this sort of thing _before_ oking work, not after. :-( It is always more painful after.