This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the libstdc++ project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: [v3 PATCH] Implement LWG 2221, No formatted output operator for nullptr

On 11/01/19 10:07 +0100, Rainer Orth wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

this patch broke Solaris bootstrap:

ld: fatal: libstdc++-symbols.ver-sun: 7117: symbol 'std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator<<(decltype(nullptr))': symbol version conflict
ld: fatal: libstdc++-symbols.ver-sun: 7119: symbol 'std::basic_ostream<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t> >::operator<<(decltype(nullptr))': symbol version conflict

ld: fatal: libstdc++-symbols.ver-sun: 7117: symbol '_ZNSolsEDn': symbol version conflict
ld: fatal: libstdc++-symbols.ver-sun: 7119: symbol '_ZNSt13basic_ostreamIwSt11char_traitsIwEElsEDn': symbol version conflict

Again, there were two matches for those two symbols:

   ##_ZNSolsE*[^Dg] (glob)
   ##_ZNSolsEDn (glob)

   ##_ZNSt13basic_ostreamIwSt11char_traitsIwEElsE*[^Dg] (glob)
   ##_ZNSt13basic_ostreamIwSt11char_traitsIwEElsEDn (glob)

ISTM that the patterns were backwards.  The following patch fixes this
and allowed i386-pc-solaris2.11 bootstrap to complete without
regressions relative to the last successful one.

I think what I should have done is change [^g] to [^gn]. That
preserves the original behaviour (don't match the ppc64 long double
symbols) but also excludes the new symbols, which end in 'n'.

Maybe the attached patch would be better though. It matches every
basic_ostream::operator<<(T) for any scalar T except 'g', and adds a
second pattern to match basic_ostream::operator<<(T*) for various T.
But neither of those matches the new operator<<(nullptr_t) overload.

it allowed me to link, too.  For my patch I'd only been
going from the ld errors and the matching patterns in the generated, not knowing the background here.

THanks for checking it. I've committed the patch now.

FWIW I did run my symbol checker script, but it gets lots of false
positives because it doesn't understand the #if preprocessor
conditions, so it sees lots of false positive duplicates. I need to
make it smarter for it to be useful here.

Indeed: the variation possible here can be a total PITA ;-)

I've managed to cobble together a pipeline with sed and cpp that
allows me to test the linker script properly. It found some conflicts
that still remain but presumably aren't present on Solaris because

There's one remaining conflict, which
I'll commit a patch for those shortly.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]