Giving Thanks to Authors with Review Direct

OCTOBER 2018

I believe that we should always honor authors - those people who enlighten
and
entertain us with this words, so I am happy to learn that there is an
official
day set aside for just this purpose. Write your favorite author, or send a
tweet. Independent authors especially are some of our unsung writing
heroes.
Take a look at this month's Review Direct  [1] [2]selections, and consider
some
of these fine independently published books for your bookshelves! Also,
check
out Amy Shamroe's essay below. She has provided a bit of a history on
National
Authors Day.

	GIVING THANKS TO AUTHORS

	BY AMY SHAMROE

	Most of the people reading this work with books and or publishing and help
disseminate the stories and thoughts of authors from many genres. The
authors
whose books are highlighted here have written from a place of passion for
their
ideas. Especially in these days when authors have Facebook and Twitter
accounts
and feel very accessible, it can be easy to forget how truly great the
publishing industry is compared to any other entertainment industry.
Authors
give their time to make their visions a black and white reality (on paper
at
least) without knowing how it will be received. The end credits for a movie
or
liner credits for an album (yes, I am dating myself with that one) are long
and
involved. An author has a small team, mostly editorial and marketing.

	So why this reflection? November 1st marks National Author's Day. This is
not
another made up holiday brought on by modern marketing. The day has starts
with
the story of a woman recuperating in a hospital during World War I. Nellie
Verne
Burt McPherson was a lifelong avid reader and relied solely on books to
entertain her in the hospital. After particularly enjoying Irving
Bacheller's
story "Eben Holden's Last Day A'Fishin," she wrote the author a fan letter.
her delight, he replied by sending an autographed copy of a different
story.
McPherson did not think a simple thank you note would suffice. In 1928,
McPherson was president of her local Women's Club and she started a
campaign to
establish National Author's Day to the General Federation of Women's Clubs.
The
US Department of Commerce adopted the day in 1949.

	McPherson's granddaughter, Sue Cole, became a major advocate for day in
1968
after her grandmother's death. She advocated sending letters to authors and
flying the American flag in honor of those who create American literature.

	To keep the tradition alive, here are some ideas for how you can honor
National
Author's Day:

 	* Encourage people to reread their favorite books
 	* Create a suggestion corner where people can share their favorite
authors to
inspire others to read them
 	* Host an event where people reach out to their favorite living authors
on
social media either on site or virtually. Track if people get responses.
 	* If your area has authors or an author's group, host an appreciation
night
 	* Have patrons or customers share how a book or author helped or inspired
them

	Do you do anything to honor National Author's Day? Have you thought up
some
ideas of your own? Share them with us!

	Amy Shamroe is the Director of the Traverse City Children's Festival and
Book
Awards Coordinator with Jenkins Group, Inc.

Kim Hornyak is the Director of Book Marketing with Jenkins Group, and a
blogger
featuring GRANNY SHORTS: QUIPS AND QUOTES FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HILL
[3]

DON\'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THIS MONTH\'S REVIEW DIRECT TITLES HERE! [4]

	Please contact me with any questions or comments!

Kim Hornyak, Jenkins Group, Inc., khornyak@bookpublishing.com [5],
231.933.0445,
ext 1013

	Our intent is to keep you informed.
If you wish to no longer receive messages from Jenkins Group and Review
Direct,
simply click on the following link to change your preferences.
Change my subscription preferences. [6]

Links:
------
[1]
http://www3.dmpemail10.com/jenkins/main/index.php?action=t&tag=RD+1018&id=11706&viewers_email=libstdc%2B%2B%40gcc.gnu.org&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fjenkins.dmplocal.com%2Fmain%2F%3Fp%3Ddsc.get%26id%3DhadoazR3ua8
[2]
http://www3.dmpemail10.com/jenkins/main/index.php?action=t&tag=RD+1217&id=11706&viewers_email=libstdc%2B%2B%40gcc.gnu.org&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fjenkins.dmplocal.com%2Fmain%2F%3Fp%3Ddsc.get%26id%3Dl0-YjNRK5Nw
[3]
/HTTP://JENKINS.DMPLOCAL.COM/MAIN/INDEX.PHP?ACTION=T&TAG=GRANNY+SHORTS%3A+QUIPS+AND+QUOTES+FROM+THE+OTHER+SIDE+OF+THE+HILL&ID=[ID]&VIEWERS_EMAIL=[RECIPIENT_EMAIL]&DEST=HTTPS%3A%2F%2FGRANNYSHORTS.COM%2F
[4]
/HTTP://JENKINS.DMPLOCAL.COM/MAIN/INDEX.PHP?ACTION=T&TAG=RD+1018&ID=[ID]&VIEWERS_EMAIL=[RECIPIENT_EMAIL]&DEST=HTTP%3A%2F%2FJENKINS.DMPLOCAL.COM%2FMAIN%2F%3FP%3DDSC.GET%26ID%3DHADOAZR3UA8
[5] mailto:khornyak@bookpublishing.com
[6]
http://www3.dmpemail10.com/jenkins/main/index.php?action=t&tag=Change+my+subscription+preferences.&id=11706&viewers_email=libstdc%2B%2B%40gcc.gnu.org&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fjenkins.dmplocal.com%2Fmain%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dunsubscribe%26id%3D11706%26viewers_email%3Dlibstdc%252B%252B%2540gcc.gnu.org