Re: Relocation (= move+destroy)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018, Ville Voutilainen wrote:

(Removed gcc-patches, this is lib-only rumination). I drove noexcept(auto) for a while. I dropped it because the rationale for it was insufficient considering the concerns against it. I have entertained the idea of working on it on the compiler side, but I don't think there's a reason to raise the priority of such adventures, considering the apparently more important things to do. The evidence of the importance of a noexcept(auto) is still lacking in my view, even if there's an occasional library bug.

To me the most obvious argument is that Jonathan + you + me + etc (please don't feel left out if I didn't mention you) have already spent more time getting noexcept specifications right (while making the code harder to read) than it would take someone familiar with the front-end to implement noexcept(auto). It is also deterring us from adding noexcept in places where it could be useful but we can't be bothered.

Note that I am not blaming anyone here, I didn't implement it either. I looked at some point but couldn't find the time to do it, nowadays I can barely find enough time to contribute a minor patch once in a while in areas I am already familiar with.

--
Marc Glisse