Re: [patch] New libstdc++ docs on testing and library versioning

On 07/08/16 23:36 -0600, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
On 08/04/2016 06:37 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
I've been working on some changes to the libstdc++ manual recently.

A lot of the changes are just using DocBook markup with more semantic
everything that should use a monospace font) but there are some
changes to content too.

I've added a new subsection documenting the steps needed to bump the
library version when adding new symbols, and rewritten the section on
writing testcases. The main reason for the latter is to encourage the
use of { dg-do run { target c++11 } } rather than the { dg-options
"-std=gnu++11" } approach used until now. I've also started
documenting the libstdc++-specific dg-require-SUPPORT directives
available for our tests.

[snip]

I tried to look over this patch and my eyes started glazing over....

I suggest trying to separate the markup changes (possibly multiple patches, for different kinds of changes) from the new content. From my perspective, I think formatting cleanups and minor copy-editing can go in under the obvious patch rule as long as you are satisfied with the way it looks and have self-reviewed the patch to make sure you didn't accidentally delete some chunk of text or introduce some other unintended change.

The new material should be reviewed by someone knowledgeable enough to catch problems with the content.

I've committed the changes as four patches, attached.

1 only changes markup.

   Improve markup in libstdc++ manual
* doc/xml/manual/build_hacking.xml: Improve markup.
       * doc/xml/manual/test.xml: Likewise. Change section title from "Test"
       to "Testing".
       * doc/xml/faq.xml: Change link text to "Testing".

2 adds the new section to the configure hacking docs.

   Document libstdc++.so versioning in manual
* doc/xml/manual/build_hacking.xml: New section on shared library
       versioning.

3 is mostly markup, but documents some more makefile targets from the
testsuite sub-dir.

   Improve documentation of libstdc++ test targets
* doc/xml/manual/test.xml: Improve documentation of test targets.
       Document new-abi-baseline, check-debug, and check-parallel targets.

4 rewrites the docs on writing tests.

   Expand libstdc++ docs on testing
* doc/xml/manual/test.xml (test.run.permutations): Expand section.
       (test.new_tests): Rewrite section.
       (tests.dg.directives): New section.
       * doc/html/*: Regenerate.

The result of 2 is at:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/appendix_porting.html#build_hacking.configure.version

And the result of 4 starts at:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/test.html#test.run.permutations

The previous version was identical to:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-6.1.0/libstdc++/manual/manual/test.html#test.run.permutations

If anyone wants to review that content I'll happily make changes, but
I thought I'd go ahead and commit it. It's much easier to read the
HTML in a browser than to read patches against the Docbook XML.