Re: Experience with g++ 4.8 and -frepo?

On 27/08/14 14:54 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
Ok.  Once I get this thing through _without_ const, I'll try the version
_with_ const and see whether this indeed gets me rid of the optimization
problem too.  After all, it's quite plausible that the optimizer might
confuse const on a generic definition with a promise that the value will
not get switched for a different constant by a specialization when the
actual specialization is only visible in a different compilation unit.

If the specialization is only visible in a different compilation unit
then any use of it is undefined behaviour, no diagnostic required, so
any result is plausible. The 'const' is irrelevant.

At any rate, g++ -frepo appears to get me rid of that inconsistent
specialization problem at the cost of tripping up libstdc++ usage
(which never was problematic without -frepo).  Sometimes I wonder
whether I am the only one using some software...  But maybe -frepo was
pretty new in g++-4.8.

No, -frepo is ancient and bit-rotted and noone uses it now.

Ah, good to know.  So there is no point in working towards getting the
project codebase to work with -frepo.  That's definitely useful
information that I was lacking before, and that was not to be gleaned
from the GCC info page.

The page is ancient and bit-rotted too. I'm going to rewrite it.