Re: why are calls to libstdc++ being handled by python?

On 10 July 2014 13:32, Linda A. Walsh wrote:
> Linda A. Walsh wrote:
>>
>> This looks very odd.
>
> It occurred to me that gdb might be written in python
> and it is having problems with ... ???  well not sure
> why it should have problems deciphering a traceback
> through libstdc++?  So still a bit lost...

GDB has an (optional) Python API which is used by libstdc++ to provide
pretty printing of std::lib types and values, as well as filtering
names in stack frames (e.g. to replace std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>> with std::string which
is much easier to read).

Unfortunately, sometimes when debugging you sometimes have garbage
data in your stack, and so when Python tries to improve the output it
gets confused by the garbage.