Re: [Patch] Let ordinary escaping in POSIX regex be valid

On 27 September 2013 03:15, Tim Shen wrote:
> POSIX ERE says that escaping an ordinary char, say R"\n" is not
> permitted, because 'n' is not a special char. However, they also say
> that : "Implementations are permitted to extend the language to allow
> these. Conforming applications cannot use such constructs."
>
> So let's support it not to make users surprised.
>
> Booted and tested under -m32 and -m64

I'm wondering whether we want to have a stricter mode that doesn't
allow them, to help users avoid creating non-portable programs.  We
could check the value of the preprocessor macro __STRICT_ANSI__, which
is set by -std=c++11 but not by -std=gnu++11, although that's not
really the right flag. We want something more like the GNU shell
utils' POSIXLY_CORRECT.