Re: libstdc++ c++98 & c++11 ABI incompatibility

On 07/02/2012 11:53 AM, Paolo Carlini wrote:

I also want to mention (I don't think somebody did already in the thread) that at some point, with Jason too, we discussed the idea of adding to each binary a marker about the ABI version which then would be used by the linker to warn or error out. This vague idea goes of course well beyond our specific needs for the C++98 conforming std::list vs the C++11 conforming version of it.
Yup. I've floated this idea as well. Some kind of note section with abi information in it plus some linker magic to detect and error/warn when mixing/matching bits with different abis.

Jeff