Re: [Mingw-w64-public] Thoughts on supporting the C++11 thread library on Windows

Hi Kai!

(Again cross-posted to mingw.)

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Kai Tietz <ktietz70@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2012/5/9 Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net>:
>
> Hi,
>
> ? The cause why I am not that happy about K.Frank's Vista+
> "conditionalvariable" API suggestion is that this API isn't backward
> compatible. ?Therefore "win64" as threading-model looks wrong to me,
> as it has nothing to do with 64-bit, it is just a OS related API.
>
> Well, introducing here a new thread-model "win64" - we need here a
> different name for it - might be still interesting for some of our
> mingw users. ?It would avoid the additional dependency of libgcc to
> posix-threading-DLL.

Personally, as mentioned above, I am quite happy with the winpthreads
implementation of <thread>, as made available in Ruben's build.

Please, let's have mingw-w64 (and mingw) users chime in.  Do folks
prefer one approach (native vs. pthreads) to implementing <thread>
to the other?  Is there enough interest in both approaches that it
makes sense to take away manpower from other issues to develop
and support both?

For those who haven't tried it yet, I heartily recommend Ruben's
<thread>-enabled build (that is based on winpthreads under the
hood).  I have tested it and been using it some, and I haven't
found any problems with it yet.

(But Ruben, I will.  Oh yes I will.  Just watch.   Bwaa-ha-haa!)

> Regards,
> Kai

And to Kai (and Ruben and Jon and Friends, and to Jonathan and Friends
upstream), an ongoing thank you for all your efforts making mingw-w64
available to folks like me.

K. Frank