Re: C++ linking problem when locale are disabled in eglic.

On 13 March 2012 07:41,  <paul.chavent@fnac.net> wrote:
> Hello.

This should have been CC'd to the libstdc++ list too.

> C++ programs don't link anymore with gcc > 4.5.3 and eglibc 2.15 with OPTION_EGLIBC_LOCALE_CODE=n.
>
> It seems that gcc/libstdc++-v3/acinclude.m4 doesn't check for bugs in early glibc-2.2.x series anymore. So, it doesn't detect the lack of newlocale, duplocale, freelocale, nl_langinfo_l and uselocale. On the other hand, there is a new test for the presence of uclibc (!defined(__UCLIBC__)).
>
> I solved the problem with the '--enable-clocale=generic' option when configuring gcc.
>
> So my question to the gcc team is : "should gcc detect the lack of these functions with eglibc" , or using --enable-clocale=generic is the good practice ?

Ideally, yes.  IIRC we require a minimum version of glibc and assume
that a sufficiently new glibc will always provide those functions.
That assumption predates eglibc and the optional modules.  Patches to
improve libstdc++'s configure are welcome.