Re: [patch] debug mode

Hi

[snip]

> I guess the limited line length is supposed to improve readability. Obfustacing the names to be able to follow the letter of the law, doesn't seem like an improvement.

In general, I agree with Bo. I should also add that I don't have a strong opinion about these issues, provided the concerned names are empirically known to be safe vs the supported OSes, of course. But:
1- Let's try to be consistent, at least within a given file.
2- For user-visible facilities, as specified in the Standard, I *always* try  for code I write from scratch to use names very close to those used in the Standard itself, thus 'first' becomes definitely '__first'.
2-I also understand your point about conciseness, and we even briefly discussed the issue with Benjamin in the past, when we added the forward declaration headers for the algorithms, and we agreed to have shorter names there.

To summarize, the debug facilities aren't per se user visible - besides the additional checking should be indistinguishable from the normal one - thus I can understand we aim for some conciseness there. Let's be consistent as much as possible, anyway, within each given file and between different debug-mode files. Let's try to overcome inconsistencies due only to historical accidents.

Paolo