Re: [build, doc, v3] Support Sun symbol versioning in libstdc++-v3, rev. 2

Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org> writes:

>> I don't like to clutter toplevel with random helper scripts.  It seems
>> to fall into the same class as contrib/test_summary, which is used by
>> make mail-report.log.
>
> That's different from something that is run (for determinate targets) on a
> normal "../configure && make".  It seems more similar to "compile",
> "depcomp" or "config-ml.in".  Anyway, contrib be it.

Ok.  Perhaps it would be helpful to have a new toplevel directory for
stuff like this?   I think aux is what several other projects use.
toplevel is way too crowded right now.

It seems the following files could go there:

compile
config-ml.in
config.guess
config.rpath
config.sub
depcomp
install-sh
libtool-ldflags
libtool.m4
ltgcc.m4
ltmain.sh
ltoptions.m4
ltsugar.m4
ltversion.m4
lt~obsolete.m4
missing
mkdep
mkinstalldirs
move-if-change
symlink-tree
ylwrap

Perhaps start with aux now for make_sunver.pl and move the rest there in
a subsequent patch?  On the other hand, this would have to be
coordinated with src, so seems like a considerable effort.

>> Since the same script will be used by all other (already approved or to
>> be resubmitted) Sun versioning patches, libstdc++-v3 isn't appropriate.
>
> Yes, that's why I wrote "for now".  But if there are already approved
> patches, it's better not to put it there indeed.

The libgfortran and libssp patches have been approved.  I'll have to
re-submit the libgomp patch and post the libjava one for the first time.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University