Re: running 4.4 libstdc++ testsuite using 4.5's libstdc++ shared library

On 26 June 2010 19:01, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> But, I do think we should make that clear by changing the SONAME when we
> are aware of an incompatible change, even to "experimental" stuff. ?Or
> else, we should completely disable experimental stuff in releases,
> unless some special configuration option is used. ?I think we shouldn't
> have the experimental stuff out there in a way that people can use it
> *and* change its ABI *and* not adjust the SONAME.

condition_variable_any was not "out there in a way that people can use
it" unless you consider "call its default constructor" to be "use it"
because the constructor and destructor were the ONLY functions that
were defined.  That certainly isn't what it's meant to be used for,
and I can't imagine anyone used it before gcc 4.5, except in our
testsuite.

Again, we probably shouldn't have had the unimplemented stubs in the
library at all, but let's not blow this particular issue out of
proportion.

Jonathan