regex patch

OK folks, I have honed my regex patch with some important changes (minimizing
future ABI breakage, some thread safety issues, more functionality and test
cases, some suggested changes, and moving some non-templated code into the
link library).  I would like to start committing stuff soon so that it does
not rot on the vine, and I'm sure there are oodles of talented people out
there who are just itching to contribute.

I have a couple of blockages that I need resolution for first.

(1) I have two test cases that fail because the functionality has not yet been
implemented.  What is the standard operating procedure for this?  I'd rather
have failing tests cases that eventually get fixed than to have the problems
missed because the test cases are absent or xfailed.

(2) My autotools version is out of synch with the one used to generate the
generated files.  Getting an exact match may take until next week.  Is it OK
not to commit regenerated files?  What is the usual policy on this?

--
Stephen M. Webb
stephen.webb@bregmasoft.ca