This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the libstdc++ project.
Re: std::string & multithreading
- From: Paolo Carlini <paolo dot carlini at oracle dot com>
- To: Radu Marginean <radu_marg at yahoo dot com>
- Cc: libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:20:37 +0100
- Subject: Re: std::string & multithreading
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 02/26/2010 12:16 PM, Radu Marginean wrote:
> Rogue Wave for example has a compiler option which allows linking with a version of the STL library that can be safely used in a multithreaded application. Is there any such option available for gcc? If not are there plans to introduce one?
The plan is rolling in a new implementation, not using reference
counting at all, because C++1x doesn't allow it, as soon as we can break
the ABI. For the time being, you can experiment with a preview,
available as ext/vstring.h. Feedback welcome!