Re: PATCH: Support Sun symbol versioning in libstdc++-v3

Rainer Orth <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:

> ** Last but not least, Sun ld chokes if the same symbol is present in
>    two different versions.  GNU ld simply adds such a symbol into the
>    oldest version in an inheritance chain, so I cannot see what the
>    point would be listing it twice in the first place.

I just want the comment that the real situation here is rather more
complex.  I outlined what happens here in
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2010-01/msg00207.html .

Because GNU ld matches .symver symbols against the specified version
tag in the version script, it is sometimes necessary to list the
symbol both in that version and also in the version which the
non-.symver symbol should use.  While the situation is needlessly
complicated, the duplications are not in fact irrelevant.

Ian