Re: [v3] container requirements cleanups

Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> writes:

> Sorry, I did not realize this. How do you propose going about
> using __versa_string as std::string (and presumably moving the existing
> std::string code to __gnu_cxx::basic_string) on trunk? I am in support
> of this change, but consider this a separate issue.
>
> The status quo is untenable: C++0x public mf definitions that are extern
> template suppressed and unexported. Unusable. I think it makes sense to
> audit and export the new bits. Do you agree, agree with string
> special-cased, or other?

Has anybody thought about what would be required to make it possible to
apply serious symbol versioning to libstdc++, making it possible to
change the string class without changing the major library version?  Is
it even possible given the combination of inline and extern routines
which tend to occur in C++ programs?

Ian