Re: throw(), pure and const flags on functions

FWIW, I did some work in this area on another project not too
long ago and having the ability to request compiler warnings
or suggestions for functions that could be decorated with one
or more of these attributes would have been (and still would
be) quite useful. IIRC, I even filed a feature request for
just such a feature with a compiler/static analysis tool
vendor. Having the feature in gcc as well would be great!

Martin

Jan Hubicka wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to improve quality of IPA analysis of C++ code and I tend to
run into issues with amount of code we generate for EH and also amount
of calls to library.
It seems that PURE and CONST attributes in general are not used in
libstdc++ headers and there are also some cases where I think throw ()
marker is missing, like in _Rb_tree_increment.

Fixing those would probably lead to a lot smaller code in our C++
benchmark suite and thus also better inlining/faster compilation.  Can
this be improved?

I used to have -Wconst flag that made GCC to warn on functions that was
proved to be const, but they was not marked as such.  If this would
help, I can definitly rewrite it for current tree and add the other two
cases too, with someting like -Wfunction-attribtues

Honza