Re: gdb pretty-printers for libstdc++

> As part of Project Archer, we've added support for scriptable
> pretty-printers to gdb.  We're going to be shipping this functionality
> in F11, and we'll be integrating the final patches into gdb in time
> for the 7.0 release.
>
> More on Archer, if you are interested:
>
>     http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/ProjectArcher
>
> In order to test the new pretty-printing code, we've written printers
> for most of the data structures in libstdc++.  Because these are tied
> to the implementation details of the library, I think it is best to
> maintain the printers in the library.  This patch implements that.

So pleased to see this landing in an official place. This new
functionality will help resolve at least a decade of queries to this
list about how to visualize the contents of libstdc++ containers in
debuggers. Yay!

I highly recommend that interested people look at Tom's musings on
using archer, starting with:

http://tromey.com/blog/?cat=17&paged=2

This seems to be the best place for information about this exciting
new tool.

> 2009-02-27  Tom Tromey  <tromey@redhat.com>
>
> 	* python/Makefile.in, , python/libstdcxx/__init__.py,
> 	python/libstdcxx/v6/__init__.py,
> python/libstdcxx/v6/printers.py, python/hook.in, python/Makefile.am:
> New files.
> 	* configure, Makefile.in: Rebuild.
> 	* acinclude.m4 (glibcxx_SUBDIRS): Add python.
> 	* Makefile.am (SUBDIRS): Add python.

Placement looks good to me.

Thanks again for making this a reality.

best,