Re: [RFC] Do we care about binary compatibility of code produced by cross-compilers?

Paolo Carlini wrote:

> As far as I can see, among the 4 libraries only libstdc++-v3 tries to be
> "smart" and runs it only when link-tests are always safe to do, when
> native. I find all of this rather puzzling. Shouldn't we run the test
> only once, at toplevel, propagate the information to the libraries, and,
> in case, have an infrastructure which allows the libraries to override
> the toplevel decision?

Yes, we should.

As per our earlier discussions, I think the libstdc++ "smart"-ness is a
mistake.  We have a good method for probing the C library: link-time
tests.  We don't use it for libstdc++ only because some people use a
build procedure in which you can't link C programs by the time you're
building the C++ library.  I suspect the other library maintainers just
didn't worry about that scenario.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery