Re: std::ext STL (was: Re: design doc on alternative pointer support)

Phil Bouchard wrote:
My allocator is basically made only for my own smart pointer support and wouldn't make sense using for different purposes.
I don't know about "your" allocator, but as far as libstdc++-v3 is concerned, I think all the containers can possibly support only C++98 conforming allocators, or, maybe, C++0x conforming allocators (when -std=c++0x is used). Of course the pointer typedef can be non-trivial, that's the point. At this late stage I don't think we want to consider the possibility of a new, non-standard type, frankly. Maybe we could have done that say, 2-3 years ago, but given all the changes in the allocator chapter of C++0x isn't the right time to fiddle with something different yet. As a general policy, we want to concentrate on either the current or the new standard.