gcc 3.4.3 with libstdc++.so.5

Hi,

I am working on developing a C++ application using the gcc compiler version 3.4.3 on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 machine. This version of the gcc compiler uses libstdc++.so.6.

My application also links against a third-party shared library which has been built using a previous version of the gcc compiler which used libstdc++.so.5. Now when my application tries to link against this third-party library, I receive a warning message:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.5, needed by /third-party/thirdparty.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.6

Where thirdparty.so is the third-party binary.

Though my application gets built but I am sure that this is going to fail at run-time because of the conflicting versions of libstdc++. Neither I can change the third-party to be built using the newer compiler version nor I want to compile my application using the previous version of the compiler. The only option which appears to me is to have my compiler use libstdc++.so.5 instead of libstdc++.so.6. Please suggest if this is the right solution and what steps do I need to follow to have my compiler use libstdc++.so.5 instead of libstdc++.so.6? Any help in this regard would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Atul.