Re: Supporting non-standard pointer types in STL containers

Hi,

> Is the problem that you are concerned about cases of libraries
> which expose map<> types externally, passing maps between a library
> built with one version of the code and a library built with another?
> I had not thought of that.  I was concerned primarilly about the ABI
> between compiled instances of _Rb_tree and the libstdc++-v3 library
> itself.

I'm not considering anything especially complicated, just object code built with the current headers and object code built with the new headers, linked together and trying to exchange map::iterators. The type of  map::iterator cannot be changed within the current version of the binary interface defined by the library.

Really, I'm sorry, but in general I'm afraid this kind of changes is too tricky for the current binary compatibility requirements. Unless you can come up with something much less invasive, we have to delay this kind of - in principle very welcome improvements, to be clear - to the next ABI.