Re: GCC and OpenMP

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 08:58:24AM -0500, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> If you want to use gcc-4.3, and don't want to build it yourself,
> probably the easiest thing to do is just to use fedora 9.

Um, Benjamin?

You really think that "the easiest thing to do" is for this guy to replace
his entire operating system?  Especially since no one has RHEL5 unless
they pay Red Hat to support it, which means they have a business need to
run it?

Building from source, and putting gcc 4.3 on a different path, is far, far
easier than doing all the work of replacing the entire OS.

So while it seems daunting if you haven't done it before, I would
recommend that an RHEL5 user who wants to try out gcc 4.3.0 download
the source and build it, configured to install in an alternate path
like /usr/local/gcc-4.3.0 or some such.  You do *not* want to replace
the system compiler, but you can have more than one compiler version
installed.