Re: tr1::array initialization

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor@osl.iu.edu> wrote:

> On May 6, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
>> I think you made a pretty strong case here. You'd probably be best off
>> to write up a specific proposal with the wording you desire for a
>> variadic N, and submit it to the LWG issues list.
> This is a language issue, not a library issue. Tom wants the N deduced from
> the initializer, but doing so would require tr1::array to be recognized by
> the compiler as magic; at least, I can't think of any extension that makes
> this not magic. Here's an alternative formulation that does work:

Gentlemen, thanks for the interest!

I defer to the experts, but I agree that it seems to be a language
issue; however, I don't understand why the user should have to do
anything special.

Actually, I have thought from the beginning that, since the array is
essentially constant, that such an initializer would be the only way
anyone would want to define it, i.e., trash the tr1::array<T,N>
definition.

But Doug is probably right.

-Tom