Re: Possible improvement in next_permutation implementation

Hi David,

and many thanks for your feedback. By the way, months ago I mentioned many times in private talk with people working at CERN that I was "disappointed" by the lack of feedback from all the power users working there... Good news, then ;)
I wonder whether it would be possible to make an implementation of the standard library method closer to what the gsl algorithm does. The three algorithms are intrinsically the same one, but the way they have been implemented differ in the small details, and that is what makes the difference in time. I also wonder, what is the reason to have implemented the algorithm this way. There may be reasons I do not see because of my poor knowledge of the implementation of the library.
I will look into it, but I suppose there aren't very deep explanations, assuming the basic algorithm is the same, of course, only historical reasons, the usual ones, lack of feedback (see above)... As I said, I will look into the details of the issue, but in the meanwhile, if you feel like providing additional help (I don't know, pseudo-code, whatever), you are more than welcome, of course.

Paolo.

PS Last saturday, I visited ATLAS!