Re: [Patch] Use __GCC_HAVE_SYNC_COMPARE_AND_SWAP_*

Peter Dimov wrote:

I see. In fact, as you may remember, I have been asking for an
infrastructure providing an emulation layer transparent to the users
for *years*...

I understand, but isn't the infrastructure now almost in place? The compiler support is present; is it not just the library support that is missing?

I wish I could share your optimism :-) These issues are nasty, very nasty, given all the requirements. Please have a look to the past exchanges on the lists: people came to the conclusion that the only satisfactory and complete solution are multilibs. And that would not solve the statically linked case. Well, if you have a complete solution ready fullfilling all those requirements, just post it ;)

common and old Sparcs less and less common, I'm not sure the effort
still makes sense...

Now, mid of 2007, with x86_64 becoming more and more

I wish I could share your optimism. :-) Sadly, 386 is as rare as an architecture can be, and 486 is as common as possible, and yet we still have i386 as the default.

I know we have i386 as default, and that's why the builtin macros are useful. But new machines, all the machines we really care about of the "x86" family are 64-bits and in that case we finally have the atomic builtins as default.