Re: state of libstdcxx_so_7-branch

What is your merge/update plan WRT cxx0x-branch and mainline? Do you have a schedule, or a feeling, or what?

I plan to update cxx0x-branch from mainline occasionally (no set schedule), just to stay in sync. cxx0x-branch should gather solid C++0x-related patches as they are posted to the lists, and we'll merge individual changes back to mainline when a libstdc++ or C++ FE maintainer approves them for mainline.

One of the things that was learned from the libstdcxx_so_7-branch was that unless things are merged pretty regularly, things can get really hard.

I would suggest some kind of schedule, or merging libstdc++ and gcc sources separately.

In addition, I would suggest putting up all the tools for merging, or posting commands and establishing best practice for this (written down somewhere), or somehow collecting all this info, so that this responsibility can be handed around so that just one person isn't stuck with it all the time.

Paolo probably has some insights here.

If this is the way to go, and I think it is, then I'm certainly not the best person to make this change. Someone with a better understanding of the configure logic, header install process, etc. should handle the initial setup of libstdc++-v4.

I'm willing to tackle this but let's get the post-Oxford mailing deadline out of the way first.

It might also be wise to finish up the exploration of how to do merged traits. Paolo, do you want to give that a try?

-benjamin