Re: state of libstdcxx_so_7-branch

Chris Jefferson wrote:

The rvalue changes should probably (in my opinion at least) go
straight into mainline at the same time as the compiler support is
added. I'm convinced that they won't break ABI at all, although I
think the most optimal string change might require an ABI break (of
course long term rvalue references encourage the idea of a non-COW
string).

Yes, at some point we even wanted to add to mainline the *simulated* rvalue references stuff, appeared safe from the binary compatibility point of view. Then we decided to wait a bit for the standardization process to proceed a bit more.

I think it would be safe now to proceed as you are suggesting, the only minor issue being the 'forward' un-uglyfied name being injected in namespace std also in C++03 mode. I think we can live with that...

Probably you could start experimenting with a current, mainline compiler together with the libstdcxx_so_7-branch library, I don't expect major issues, besides the __is_pod name conflict and a bit of hacking c++config for C++0x mode. That way you can work as soon as possible on replacing simulated rvalues with the real ones. Note, for mainline, until we break the ABI for real, I say better not fiddling at all with basic_string, ext/vstring.h is ok.