Re: libstdc++.dylib linking problem on Darwin

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:

On 12 Apr 2007 15:14:01 -0700, Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@apple.com> wrote:
I would recommend using the system libstdc++ and system libgcc_s
rather than one you build yourself from FSF sources, unless you're
actually developing libstdc++.

The FSF libstdc++ is, I believe,
binary incompatible with the system one, and since system libraries
use the system one there is no way to guarantee that you're using the
right one for your code.
Okay, so uh, how do you propose to do a full bootstrap and test if you
can't test the built libstdc++?
In particular, since the testsuite sets the dyld library path, won't
this cause the system libs to try to use the libstdc++ you just built,
which is incompatible?
(This is mildly rhetorical, since this is indeed what happens, at
least as of 9A377a).

Yeah, it was less of a problem until we shipped a linker that uses libstdc++.
I'm looking into it when I get a chance.

-eric