Re: [v3] use AM_ICONV

Paolo Carlini <pcarlini@suse.de> writes:

> Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
>
> > There's nothing to revert to: it's been broken forever, although
> > only obviously so on non-GNU platforms like solaris.
>
> In other terms the old GLIBCXX_CHECK_ICONV_SUPPORT didn't work? It had
> the nice comment:
>      # From Bruno Haible's AM_ICONV, but without link tests.
>
> Anyway, if things were already broken, I don't understand the recent
> message from Ian?!?

I don't really understand Ben's comment either.  To me libstdc++-v3
seems clearly broken now, unless I misunderstood something.  Perhaps
before, when libstdc++-v3 was built for an embedded system, the
functions which called iconv failed when linking the program.  But to
me it seems better to have just those functions fail than to have the
whole library fail to build.

Of course I have no problem with waiting for a full fix, but the
current status is ungood.

Ian